PCI digital video camera interface
- Single PCI local bus slot
- Interfaces LVDS digital CCD cameras to PMC/PCI computers
- Supports 8 through 16 bit resolution
- Direct memory access to host memory -- camera resolution independent
- PCI Local Bus data rates up to maximum supported by host
- 33Mhz, 32-bit board
- Supports AIA serial command interface over RS-422 serial lines
- Device drivers for Sun Solaris™, Linux, Windows, VxWorks*, MacOS
- PMC bus (PMC DVK) option available
The PCI DVK provides high-resolution image capture for AIA Monochrome, Category 1, extended single and dual channel digital cameras. Spatial and depth resolution and the number of buffers are limited only by the host memory. Images can be captured and displayed in real-time. The PCI DVK is similar to the PCI DV, the primary difference being the connector (68-pin versus 80-pin).
The PCI DVK's 68-pin connector makes it the best choice for cameras with standard 68-pin SCSI II type cables/connectors, such as the Redlake MEGAPLUS i and ES models. Cables are also available for the Texas Instruments TMC-1001PF, Raytheon Infrared Radiance 1 and HSX, Cincinnati Electronics Irris 256 ST, and most Hamamatsu* cameras. Most other AIA monochrome, Category 1, extended single and dual channel digital cameras are also supportable, but may require a custom cable. See Cables (below) for more information.
* Requires PCI DVK RS-422 option.
The PCI DVK comes with a configurable device driver, a C language interface library, example programs, and an X-Windows or MS Windows based camera control and image capture and display program. The device driver provides direct virtual memory access for the host computer, including features for controlling the device and determining its status. Example programs demonstrate this capability using the functions provided in the library. A number of third party products are available as well to provide turn-key solutions to image acquisition needs.
- Machine vision
- Computer microscopy
- Aerial mapping
- Image archiving
- Image processing and analysis
- Medical imaging
A programmable gate array is configured for a specific camera when the driver is loaded. Thirty-two RS-422 or LVDS signals are configured as inputs or outputs, as required by the camera. Outputs can also be configured as single-ended for TTL camera control lines. The PCI DVK does not include frame buffer memory. Video data is stored in host memory as required by the camera and application.
SDK and device drivers for Solaris™, Linux, Windows. Also VxWorks (selected platforms) and MacOS by request.
PCI Bus Compliance
The PCI DVK is designed to be used with Redlake MASD's (formerly Kodak) 68-pin to 68-pin RS-422 AIA cable, part #03000172-001. Be sure to specify this cable when ordering the camera from Redlake. Redlake's RS-232 breakout cable (part #03000173-001) can be used, but is not recommended since it diverts the RS-232 signals to the COM port, and serial commands needed for set-up and control will need to be done manually through a terminal program or other COM port based tools.
Most other category 1, extended single and dual channel digital cameras are also supportable. However more cables are available for the PCI DV. Refer to the PCI DV Cable list. For information on which cables are available for which products.
Single PCI Local Bus slot
Dimensions: 3.3" x 5.87" x 0.5"
Weight: 3.8 oz.
Connector: AMP high density 68-pin (from AMP Inc., 800-522-6752)
5V DC, 1 A (can operate in either a 3.3v or 5v slot)
Operating: 10° to 40° C
Nonoperating: -20° to 60° C
Heat Output: 5 W
Operating: 20% to 80% noncondensing @ 40° C
Nonoperating: 95% noncondensing @ 40° C
Note: This outlines the minimum recommended requirements for a typical application that uses EDT interface boards. In practice, few situations are "typical." Read this for a broader discussion on making sure your system is adequate for the task of accepting high speed DMA data with an EDT interface board.
- Processor: Pentium III or IV/400Mhz+, or AMD Athalon
- Memory: 512 Mb minimum
- Cache memory: 256 Kb.
- PCI Bus: Adequate bandwidth for camera in use (see bandwidth requirements).
- Video: AGP Display (NOTE: Using PCI video boards on the same bus as an EDT I/O board is NOT recommended)
- OS: Solaris™, Linux, Windows, VxWorks (selected platforms), MacOS (by request).
- Patches: Windows NT service pack 6, Windows 2000 service pack 1
- Platform: Ultra 30, 60, Blade 100, Blade 1000, Enterprise
- Processor: 248MHz or faster
- Memory: 128Mb minimum
- Cache memory: 1Mb minimum
- Video: Creator3D, Elite3d M6, Expert3d, PGX64
- PCI Bus: 288 bits (dual)
- OS: Solaris™ 2.6 - 10
EDT provides several levels of customer support, from phone consultations to custom design of hardware or software at hourly rates. Technical support is also provided though the Technical Information section of this web site.
All Trademarks referenced are the service mark, trademark, or registered trademark of the respective manufacture
* VxWorks device drivers are available for a subset of motherboards, and are not a part of the regular device driver package.